Sunday, October 27, 2013

Do Your Research


My experience in conducting interviews is that candidates tend to fall into 2 categories.  Those who are prepared and those who are more than obviously not.  In today's tough job market you can't afford to fall into the 2nd group.

With the easy access to information today there is no excuse to ask during an interview "What does this company do?"  Knowing an overview of the company is something you should know before you apply.  You should also read the job description if responding to a job posting.

Mangers and Recruiters make a lot of initial phone calls to screen job candidates.  There is such a difference between introducing myself and my company name and the applicant knows why I am calling.  When a candidate ask me what is "company name they applied to" and "what position are you looking to fill" when they applied for a specific position often ends the candidate from being considered for the position.

A job candidate whose response is "ABC Company, I just read a magazine article about you" for example gets picked for the candidates being interviewed most of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment